Friday, June 6, 2014

The Bad Good News

I've been neglecting my blogs for a month. It's been a month full of emotional roller coaster stuff and busy end-of-school stuff. But I'm still here. :)

Yesterday, I finally dragged myself to an ENT (I was SO anxious beforehand, I don't know why I'm such a chicken!!) and I was surprised by how well it went. 

First of all, I told him that I had been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue 8 or 9 years ago (though I suspect I've had it since my third son was born in 1999... so it's his fault, right?) and that I had this Strep Titer thing showing up in my blood back then and when I recently went back for more tests, it is still there and the numbers don't go down, even if I take antibiotics, etc. but that I haven't had strep in years, etc. I was afraid he would tell me I'm nuts and that he couldn't help me with that.

Instead, he said exactly what I've been thinking: that if my immune system is constantly chasing some strep thing around, that could cause CFS.

He also asked me if I wake up a lot at night, which I do, and he said that since my tonsils are chronically enlarged, that they will cause me not to get enough air at night-- not quite like Sleep Apnea, because I am able to breathe normally, but my brain won't let me sleep as deeply as I should because of the airway obstruction. Wow. Makes sense that I'm always exhausted!

So he said since I have two valid and pressing reasons to do it, I should just go for it and get my tonsils out. 

I've felt prompted to go do this for a long time now and I've been so afraid that I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Now I'm really regretting that. Now I have to have it done at my age (I'm 41, which is very old for this kind of procedure... but I like to do things the hard way- I had my wisdom teeth out when I was about 31) and I've heard the painful recovery lasts 10-14 days and will make me wish I was dead. 

I don't like pain.

I'm not going to enjoy this. I will probably turn from Sleepy into Grumpy...

However, I've found some good tips online about using ice packs or heating pads to help with swelling and ear pain, staying on schedule with pain meds, even setting an alarm during the night so the pain doesn't have a chance to overwhelm me, making sure to drink something at least every 15 minutes (even at night?), etc.

I've also read horror stories. I won't lie to you-- I'm terrified.

I will probably go into hibernation for a month after the procedure (on July 2). If you miss me, bring me a smoothie or a milkshake... oooh, or a wild cherry shaved ice... I could live with a Slurpee or popsicles, too. Hey, on the upside, I might lose weight during this process. 

So wish me luck and I'll let you know how it goes. 

3 comments:

Danny Hicks said...

You are strong-I know you can handle it!!!! Sorry that you have to go through that but I am excited for you that you will have a solution and hopefully recovery quickly and be happy and healthy!!! Love you much!

Jen said...

Good luck, sis! It has to be better than you are expecting, right? As soon as you are ready, I will come visit you! :)

jdhicks said...

Certainly sounds like no picnic but I say milk it for all it's worth and let the family take care of you and all your needs (and wants) for a change. Need to borrow videos, let us know! Love and coolness, Joyce